Presenters: James Layton (Publisher) & Dani Vee (Author/ Publicist/ Acquisitions)
We’ve all heard about manuscripts going to an acquisitions meeting, with a possibility for publication, but what does that mean?
Larrikin House will take you through what they discuss during an acquisitions meeting and your chances are of publication.
You’ll have the opportunity to ask James and Dani anything!
We will discuss:
- Why your manuscript goes to an acquisition meeting
- Why a ‘good story’ alone may not cut it
- Will the story appeal to the DDS, educators, parents, grandparents, young readers?
- What does the distributor think?
- Is there something similar in the marketplace? Does it matter?
- Is it 'on brand'
- Topical/relevant issues that appeals to readers
- Is it fun, funny, quirky, original, push boundaries and challenge stereotypes?
- How should the story be told? (PB, JF, MG etc)
- Age appropriate
- Size and specs
- Release date
- Current list? Balance?
- Is the author debut, new or well-known? Affiliated?
- Is the author on brand? Easy to work with?
- Publicity partnership
- Production cost
- Production timeline
- Overseas rights possibility?
- Data of previous books published – any similarities/ predictions?
- Financially viability
You will receive a Zoom link at least 2 days before the workshop.
Please direct any questions about this workshop to firstname.lastname@example.org